Wednesday, October 29, 2008

One Last Note from Homecoming...

The 42 passes thrown Saturday, by a redshirt frosh making his first start, against two NFL caliber corners, in a blustery wind, keep bugging me.  

I though, "why would we chance to pass so oft?"  
          (iambic pentameter...fuck yeah!)

The questions kept nagging at me so I went back and looked at the box score/drive chart/play-by-play from the game and found an interesting, albeit entirely unsurprising, correlation between sustained drives and passing.  

We went three and out 6 times (which isn't very good, by the way.  In fact, is pretty bad.) and those six three and outs consisted of 14 pass plays.  Half our three and outs went pass-pass-pass and only two of our three and outs are readily justified; one drive began with consecutive false start penalties, and I can reconcile trying to pass out of first and twenty (...sort of), and one began with a three yard loss by Donnie Brown. 

Make of it what you will.

I'm just going to say that I wouldn't shed a tear if Donnie was given 50 carries against WVU.  

No comments: